Indianapolis Tech Support: Netflix Themed Phishing Attack
In this Indianapolis Tech Support Update we’ll delve into the latest phishing attack and the risk it poses to Indiana businesses. Since nearly 50 million households in the U.S. subscribe to Netflix, the Indianapolis Tech Support Update calculates that the attack has the potential to impact over one million Hoosiers. The Grand Rapids, Michigan Police Department recently uncovered this Netflix phishing attack which tricks recipients into thinking their accounts have been deactivated or suspended. Individuals who click on the email are at risk of having their personal information stolen along with compromising their computer and network.
How your employee’s penchant for ‘Friends’ can impact your business
The confluence of work and personal communications is hard for a company to avoid. Face it, employees are busy and need constant access to important updates of happenings outside of their work life. Receiving continual updates bombard their inbox:
- soccer practice update from Team Snap
- birthday reminder for that almost forgotten high school buddy compliments of Facebook
- a heads up from Netflix that season 4 of ‘Friends’ is about to be removed from the line-up
Besides a productivity drain this can’t cause a big issue for a company, right? Remember the people behind the phishing attacks like the Netflix example are not selective. They will gladly steal your employee’s identify and if performed on a computer attached to your network, they will be more than happy to try to compromise your technology. A hacker just needs a way in and this phishing attack might open the front door they need.
Must Do’s from the Indianapolis Tech Support Center
We can’t stress enough that nothing will make your network 100% safe from attack. You can with some simple steps, significantly reduce your risk. Here’s what the cyber-security experts at our Indianapolis Tech Support center recommend:
- Develop a clear policy for how company owned devices can be used – Can employees use company computers & email for personal use? If so, what are the guide posts?
- Deploy Multi Layered Protection – Firewall and antivirus are not enough. If your company is not deploying true multi layered protection you are at risk and trying to fend off sophisticated attackers with 10 year old technology.
- Train and Test – Don’t assume your employees know what to click on. Train them and then test them on a monthly basis. We conduct regular testing for our clients and see nearly 50% of all employees fail on initial testing. It takes practice to get good!
How to stay ahead
This Netflix phishing attack is just the latest in what will be many more attempts to get your company’s data. The technology the bad guys are using is changing fast and companies have to keep up to stay protected. Leading Indiana companies know that outsourcing IT support is one of the best investments for keeping an organization safe.
Reach out the Leap Managed IT Indianapolis Tech Support team to get more information.